Probiotics for Dogs with Diarrhea
Help your dog maintain optimal gut health today with probiotics that contain powerful strains of beneficial bacteria that are most effective for promoting balanced gut flora
Treatment for canine diarrhea depends on what may be causing loose stools Some things to keep in mind when administering care for dogs with diarrhea include:
- Onset of diarrheaâwas it sudden or gradual?
- Has diarrhea persisted for several days?
- Has there been a change in diet for the dog? More wet food, too many table scraps?
- Has the dog been given veterinary-prescribed medication for the diarrhea and continues to suffer from loose stools?
- Have you considered using probiotics for dogs with diarrhea?
Diarrhea in Dogs
What Causes Diarrhea in Dogs?
- Dietary changes, such as switching to another brand of dog food, overfeeding, underfeeding and giving the dog too much âpeopleâ food or canned food
- Ingesting spoiled food, outside debris, toxic substances or foreign objects
- Viral, fungal or bacterial infections (rotavirus or leptospirosis)
- Food allergies to fillers and by-products found in some commercial dog food
- Parasitic infestations of the intestines (roundworms, tapeworms, giardia or coccidia)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) caused by a constant and excessive influx of white blood cells entering the colon and/or intestines
- Liver or kidney disease
- Digestive tract tumors (malignant or benign)
- Inflammation of the colon (colitis), an often chronic condition produced when the colon is irritated by parasites, infections, stress, IBD or ingestion of contaminated food
- Canine hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (CHGE), a serious illness characterized by bloody diarrhea and vomiting
A change in dog food brand can be one of the causes of diarrhea
Symptoms Accompanying Diarrhea in Dogs
Dogs that have only one or two loose stools generally do not exhibit other symptoms When dogs experience diarrhea for more than two days, the risk of dehydration dramatically increases Although a dog with diarrhea may continue to drink water, the amount of fluids lost is greater than the fluid taken in Signs of dehydration and other complications resulting from untreated diarrhea include:
Lethargy can be one of the symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
Diagnosing Dog Diarrhea
Veterinarians diagnose the cause of dog diarrhea by:
Treating Diarrhea in Dogs
To treat diarrhea, veterinarians often recommend withholding food from the dog for 24 hours
With the emergence of serious clinical research over the past decade into the natural, restorative effectiveness of probiotics, dog owners have found that probiotics also provide a safe, healthy alternative to fasting or antibiotics for treating dog diarrhea
A type of natural, living bacteria that supplement the beneficial bacteria within your dogâs system, probiotics are ingested orally and begin colonizing in a dogâs intestinal tract within minutes of ingestion As they colonize, they start readjusting the bacterial imbalance in the intestines that causes dogs to have diarrhea while reducing bacteria motility and increasing the amount of âgoodâ bacteria for rapid relief from diarrhea
Probiotics Can Help Prevent Diarrhea in Dogs
Supplementing a dogâs diet with probiotics can reduce the likelihood that the dog suffers diarrhea due to stress, chewing on outside debris or having an older, less vital immune system In addition, giving dogs probiotic supplements also promotes production of short-chain fatty acids that work to inhibit growth of pathogens like Clostridium perfringens, salmonella and E coli and helps prevent female dogs from suffering urinary tract infections
Keep your dog happy and healthy with probiotics!
Choose from a wide selection of probiotics and then checkout with
Disclaimer: the advice and information in this article is not intended to be used as a replacement for seeking medical attention if your dog is experiencing diarrhea or other health issues
Get The Guide on Probiotics for Dogs eBook!
About Doggyâs Digest
Doggy's Digest was started out of a love for canines and a need on the web for more information about probiotics for dogs Our goal is to make this website the number one resource for optimizing your k9's digestive health and beyond!